Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
After experiencing a water loss in your home or business it is important to focus on safety first.
Water Loss Safety:
- Only stay in the house or place of business if structure is safe.
- Be cautious around water puddles to avoid slips.
- Be careful carrying affected objects. Wet materials can be very heavy.
- Only perform task or activities that are safe to do.
Water Damage Tips:
- Extract excess water from carpets or flooring.
- Wipe away excess water from wood furniture.
- Place personal items in a dry, safe space.
- Avoid using electrical appliances until excess water is extracted.
- Use fans to begin the drying process.
- Do not leave wet items in one place in order to avoid the growth of mold.
If you are struggling with water damage in your home or business SERVPRO of East York PA is more than qualified to assist you in that restoration process. The technicians at SERVPRO of East York PA have undergone a multitude of trainings and certifications in order to be better prepared for any water disaster in the community. You can contact us at anytime at (717)-665-1270.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (717) 846-6100
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.